Sunday, November 23, 2008

Thanksgiving is Coming, Thanksgiving is Coming!!

Oh my goodness, did you realize that Thanksgiving is this Thursday??? I mean, did you take your turkey out of the freezer?? I remembered about half an hour ago (something to be thankful for!) so my beautiful 22 lb. turkey is now residing in the refrigerator instead of the freezer. Actually I didn't remember; my wonderful husband did.

Our Thanksgiving starts out with the parades, of course. When I was little I didn't understand how my Mom could miss the parades (she was in the kitchen cooking already) - I loved them. Now, I still enjoy a good parade, but I guess with maturity comes a bit of "if-you've-seen-one-parade-you've-seen-them-all-itis". Besides, somebody's got to get cooking!

Here's a great cooking tip - use one of those Reynolds cooking bags for the turkey. They really work; the turkey is moist, and best of all it is done way quicker. The first year I used one, I had to call everyone to come early because the bird was done, done, done!! Now I wouldn't cook one with using a bag.

After the big feast, we settle down to dessert and some serious business - the Black Friday ads!! Yes, I do sometimes get up at 4:30 to be at a store by 5:00 - (Did you know there is such a thing as 4:30 in the morning??) - but only if necessary to get that must-have bargain. Oh yes, Black Friday is a unique day, and I'm glad it's only once a year (whew).

This year we are blessed to be having my parents and both of our daughters and their families joining us for the big celebration. It will be nice to have everyone together. As I was contemplating where to put all of my 11 guests (if you include the baby), a friend stopped to ask me what my plans were. After sharing, I asked about her plans - she and her 6 siblings and all of their families are getting together at a fire hall. All 90 of them! They are cooking 2 22lb turkeys, 4 turkey breasts, and 35 lbs. of potatoes!! I'm happy with my 11 guests...

Happy Thanksgiving

No comments: