Monday, June 16, 2008

Father's Day


Well, yesterday I woke up and thought, "Oh, great. It's Father's Day and I don't have a card/present for Dad or Hubby." Now, I knew that Father's Day was coming, it's on the calendar every year, and yet somehow I managed to be totally oblivious to the arrival of the big day. I recall having laughed at my mom when she told me that she'd given Dad his card and present last weekend because she thought it was Father's Day then. Maybe God is trying to teach me a lesson? But I digress...Upon my sudden realization that I was cardless/presentless, I quickly formed a new plan for the day. I'm good at altering plans - I do it a lot. So, instead of going to 9:30 church, I decided to go to the 11:00 service. Besides, the graduates were going to be honored at that service, and we have some young friends who would be there. This gave me time to hit Walmart for cards, after which I also had time to stop and see Dad before heading out to the church. After worship, I spotted friends in the Fellowship Mall, who recently had their second baby. I spent some time talking to them and holding their precious little 3 week old son, John. I thought back to the first time I held my own beautiful daughters, and then, many years later, my grandson and granddaughter. The awe and joy I felt were incredible, and the love for those tiny little babies washed over me totally and completely. I look forward to meeting my new granddaughter sometime in September, and expect that I will have those same feelings again. God is good.


We finished up our day with a picnic at my parents' house, mostly because it's easier to bring the party to Dad, who is a semi-invalid (and also because the US Open was on and he didn't want to leave his beloved big screen t.v.). So, a good time was had by all. And I will buy the cards/presents ahead of time next year.

No comments: