Monday, June 23, 2008

24 Miles on the Erie Canal!!

We met our cycling group after church yesterday and drove to Lockport, a city on the Erie Canal. From there we biked to Middleport, a smaller town, also on the Erie Canal. After riding around Middleport for awhile, looking for ice cream, we finally found a pizza place that had ice cream novelties. Needless to say, we stopped and enjoyed various ice cream treats. Some of us got Klondike bars. I was thinking of the commercial that asks, "What would you do for a Klondike bar?" - when I mentioned it to one of the other riders, she took a picture of us. Maybe we'll send it to the Klondike people. Who knows? They might send us some free ice cream treats!! (Can you see the commercial now? "We rode 12 miles one way for a Klondike bar!") I was fine while we were in Middleport. It was the trip back that had me concerned. But God is good, and He kept my feet pedaling all the way back. We did stop a few times to rest, but those times were such fun. On one of our rest stops, we stood under a bridge singing the old Erie Canal song - you know - "I've got a mule, her name is Sal; 15 miles on the Erie Canal" - I didn't realize how many verses there are to that song, but we were all laughing and having such a good time. As hard as the last couple of miles were, I'm glad I went on this ride. There is such a feeling of accomplishment when you've done something you thought you couldn't - and the encouragement from the other riders meant so much.

This morning I awoke expecting to be in extreme pain from yesterday's outing, but all in all, I'm feeling okay. I did beg off a driver training session with Abbie, because I'm not feeling THAT good, and I do have to go to work this evening.

That's about it for now. Have a great day!

No comments: