Saturday, June 5, 2010

June Already????

Wow - when I get distracted, I really get distracted! While it's been a good, long while since my last post, these past months have not been without their drama and heartache. My Dad had surgery in March for an abdominal aortic aneurysm. We were all looking forward to him having more energy and maybe actually enjoying life again, but the surgery created more problems than it fixed. Acute kidney failure, multiple small strokes, infection; after a month in the hospital, including two separate weeks in ICU and a second surgery, after which he coded while being transferred from the gurney to the bed, Daddy died at the Hospice Mitchell Campus. I could dwell on the hurt, but that isn't productive. Yes, I grieve, but I thank my God everyday that He gave me such a wonderful man to call my Daddy here on earth. I am also thankful to Dr. Milch, the Hospice doctor, who was able to help us fulfill Dad's wish not to die in the hospital - especially Mercy Hospital. This next year will be full of firsts that none of is looking forward to - the first birthday without Dad, the first holiday, Dad & Mom's 60th anniversary (that's gonna be a really hard one)...you get the idea. We'll get through it, because that's what Dad would want. He always said that he didn't want anyone crying over him when he was gone, but to remember the happy times. So that's what I'm going to do. I love you, Dad.

No comments: